hp aio : netbsd won't boot ...
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-24 20:12:47 UTC
okay, i finally got myself a low end machine at an affordable price.
http://hpshopping.in/HP_18-5019il_All-in-One_Desktop_PC

the problems started after unpacking the machine.

netbsd 6.1.4 (amd64) install cd just won't boot.
after fiddling around with the bios (which looks like uefi), it booted,
but refused to install, after some more coaxing moved till the "newfs"
execution phase and then barfed.

i tested with a bunch of other operating systems (ubuntu 14.04 and
omnios), which it install and boot up like a charm.

at the moment, have upgraded the memory to 4gb, and run netbsd 6.1.4 via
virtual box under ubuntu (desktop) 14.04, but the resource consumption
is crazy, i can't even fire up firefox while running netbsd in that
mode.

any ideas about how i could make netbsd work on bare metal?
or should i simply upgrade the memory to a total of 8gb (which is going
to be quite difficult a proposition at the moment)?

thanks,

~mayuresh
Manuel Bouyer
2014-09-24 20:59:01 UTC
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 01:42:47AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> okay, i finally got myself a low end machine at an affordable price.
> http://hpshopping.in/HP_18-5019il_All-in-One_Desktop_PC
>
> the problems started after unpacking the machine.
>
> netbsd 6.1.4 (amd64) install cd just won't boot.
> after fiddling around with the bios (which looks like uefi), it booted, but
> refused to install, after some more coaxing moved till the "newfs" execution
> phase and then barfed.
>
> i tested with a bunch of other operating systems (ubuntu 14.04 and omnios),
> which it install and boot up like a charm.
>
> at the moment, have upgraded the memory to 4gb, and run netbsd 6.1.4 via
> virtual box under ubuntu (desktop) 14.04, but the resource consumption is
> crazy, i can't even fire up firefox while running netbsd in that mode.
>
> any ideas about how i could make netbsd work on bare metal?
> or should i simply upgrade the memory to a total of 8gb (which is going to
> be quite difficult a proposition at the moment)?

Without details on what failed while installing, it's hard to help ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <***@antioche.eu.org>
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-24 21:29:11 UTC
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:59:01PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 01:42:47AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> > okay, i finally got myself a low end machine at an affordable price.
> > http://hpshopping.in/HP_18-5019il_All-in-One_Desktop_PC
> >
> > the problems started after unpacking the machine.
> >
> > netbsd 6.1.4 (amd64) install cd just won't boot.
> > after fiddling around with the bios (which looks like uefi), it booted, but
> > refused to install, after some more coaxing moved till the "newfs" execution
> > phase and then barfed.
> >
> > i tested with a bunch of other operating systems (ubuntu 14.04 and omnios),
> > which it install and boot up like a charm.
> >
> > at the moment, have upgraded the memory to 4gb, and run netbsd 6.1.4 via
> > virtual box under ubuntu (desktop) 14.04, but the resource consumption is
> > crazy, i can't even fire up firefox while running netbsd in that mode.
> >
> > any ideas about how i could make netbsd work on bare metal?
> > or should i simply upgrade the memory to a total of 8gb (which is going to
> > be quite difficult a proposition at the moment)?
>
> Without details on what failed while installing, it's hard to help ...

as i'd mentioned before, the "newfs" command failed to work during
installation process.
it says something along the lines of "disk busy, can't be used".
is it because my system is 'uefi'?

~mayuresh
Manuel Bouyer
2014-09-25 05:52:19 UTC
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 02:59:11AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> as i'd mentioned before, the "newfs" command failed to work during
> installation process.

this doesn't help

> it says something along the lines of "disk busy, can't be used".

This helps a bit (the exact error message would be better).
Are your trying to install NetBSD current, or a release ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <***@antioche.eu.org>
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 06:26:32 UTC
On 2014-09-25 11:22, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 02:59:11AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>> as i'd mentioned before, the "newfs" command failed to work during
>> installation process.
>
> this doesn't help

yeah, figured, that's why i'd sent the following mail too, somehow it
didn't make it through.

----- another email sent to the list begins -----

okay, i retried installation of 6.1.4 on the system after disabling
'uefi' boot option in the bios settings.

the installation stopped at the file system creation step, messages as
below;

Command: /sbin/newfs -V2 -O 2 -b 32768 -f 4096 /dev/rwd0a
Hit enter to continue
newfs: /dev/rwd0a: open for read: Device busy

i had faced a similar problem on a previous (dying) machine, thought it
to be because of the system's hdd.

now what i have is a brand new system, don't quite know how to proceed.

any help/pointers would be appreciated. :)

thanks,

~mayuresh

----- another email sent to the list ends -----

>> it says something along the lines of "disk busy, can't be used".
>
> This helps a bit (the exact error message would be better).
> Are your trying to install NetBSD current, or a release ?

i am trying to install netbsd 6.1.4 amd64 via a cd.

thanks,

~mayuresh
Manuel Bouyer
2014-09-25 08:45:22 UTC
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:56:32AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >>it says something along the lines of "disk busy, can't be used".
> >
> >This helps a bit (the exact error message would be better).
> >Are your trying to install NetBSD current, or a release ?
>
> i am trying to install netbsd 6.1.4 amd64 via a cd.

Strange; the "disk busy" could be a known problem with recent -current,
but for 6.1.4 I can't see what it could be.
What is the output of 'fdisk wd0' and 'disklabel wd0' ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <***@antioche.eu.org>
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 11:05:05 UTC
On 2014-09-25 14:15, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>> >This helps a bit (the exact error message would be better).
>> >Are your trying to install NetBSD current, or a release ?
>>
>> i am trying to install netbsd 6.1.4 amd64 via a cd.
>
> Strange; the "disk busy" could be a known problem with recent -current,
> but for 6.1.4 I can't see what it could be.
> What is the output of 'fdisk wd0' and 'disklabel wd0' ?

`fdisk wd0` output below.
Disk: /dev/rwd0d
NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 969021, heads: 16, sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 976773168

BIOS disk geometry:
cylinders: 1023, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 976773168

Partitions aligned to 16065 sector boundaries, offset 63

Partition table:
0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238)
start 1, size 976773167 (476940 MB, Cyls 0/0/2-60801/80/63)
PBR is not bootable: Bad magic number (0x0000)
1: <UNUSED>
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
No active partition.

`disklabel wd0` output below.
# /dev/rwd0d:
type: ESDI
disk: WDC WD5000AAKX-6
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 969021
total sectors: 976773168
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0 # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
drivedata: 0

5 partitions:
# size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
d: 976773168 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
969020)
e: 976773167 1 unknown # (Cyl. 0*-
969020)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0

well, that's all i got from the two commands you'd suggested.

i got them by dropping into the shell through the install menu.

thanks,

~mayuresh
Manuel Bouyer
2014-09-25 11:22:49 UTC
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:35:05PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> >>i am trying to install netbsd 6.1.4 amd64 via a cd.
> >
> >Strange; the "disk busy" could be a known problem with recent -current,
> >but for 6.1.4 I can't see what it could be.
> >What is the output of 'fdisk wd0' and 'disklabel wd0' ?
>
> `fdisk wd0` output below.
> Disk: /dev/rwd0d
> NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
> cylinders: 969021, heads: 16, sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)
> total sectors: 976773168
>
> BIOS disk geometry:
> cylinders: 1023, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
> total sectors: 976773168
>
> Partitions aligned to 16065 sector boundaries, offset 63
>
> Partition table:
> 0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238)
> start 1, size 976773167 (476940 MB, Cyls 0/0/2-60801/80/63)
> PBR is not bootable: Bad magic number (0x0000)
> 1: <UNUSED>
> 2: <UNUSED>
> 3: <UNUSED>
> No active partition.
>

> `disklabel wd0` output below.
> # /dev/rwd0d:
> type: ESDI
> disk: WDC WD5000AAKX-6
> label: fictitious
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 16
> sectors/cylinder: 1008
> cylinders: 969021
> total sectors: 976773168
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0 # microseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 5 partitions:
> # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
> d: 976773168 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
> 969020)
> e: 976773167 1 unknown # (Cyl. 0*-
> 969020)
> disklabel: boot block size 0
> disklabel: super block size 0
>

> well, that's all i got from the two commands you'd suggested.
>
> i got them by dropping into the shell through the install menu.

What this says is that your disk has no NetBSD partition. What did you
tell sysinst to do about partitionning ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <***@antioche.eu.org>
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 11:41:37 UTC
On 2014-09-25 16:52, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:35:05PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

>> >Strange; the "disk busy" could be a known problem with recent -current,
>> >but for 6.1.4 I can't see what it could be.
>> >What is the output of 'fdisk wd0' and 'disklabel wd0' ?
>>
>> `fdisk wd0` output below.
>> Disk: /dev/rwd0d
>> NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
>> cylinders: 969021, heads: 16, sectors/track: 63 (1008
>> sectors/cylinder)
>> total sectors: 976773168
>>
>> BIOS disk geometry:
>> cylinders: 1023, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065
>> sectors/cylinder)
>> total sectors: 976773168
>>
>> Partitions aligned to 16065 sector boundaries, offset 63
>>
>> Partition table:
>> 0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238)
>> start 1, size 976773167 (476940 MB, Cyls 0/0/2-60801/80/63)
>> PBR is not bootable: Bad magic number (0x0000)
>> 1: <UNUSED>
>> 2: <UNUSED>
>> 3: <UNUSED>
>> No active partition.
>>

>> `disklabel wd0` output below.
>> # /dev/rwd0d:
>> type: ESDI
>> disk: WDC WD5000AAKX-6
>> label: fictitious
>> flags:
>> bytes/sector: 512
>> sectors/track: 63
>> tracks/cylinder: 16
>> sectors/cylinder: 1008
>> cylinders: 969021
>> total sectors: 976773168
>> rpm: 3600
>> interleave: 1
>> trackskew: 0
>> cylinderskew: 0
>> headswitch: 0 # microseconds
>> track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
>> drivedata: 0
>>
>> 5 partitions:
>> # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>> d: 976773168 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 -
>> 969020)
>> e: 976773167 1 unknown # (Cyl. 0*-
>> 969020)
>> disklabel: boot block size 0
>> disklabel: super block size 0
>>

>> well, that's all i got from the two commands you'd suggested.
>>
>> i got them by dropping into the shell through the install menu.
>
> What this says is that your disk has no NetBSD partition. What did you
> tell sysinst to do about partitionning ?

nothing special, just followed the prompts.

~mayuresh
Manuel Bouyer
2014-09-25 11:45:24 UTC
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 05:11:37PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> nothing special, just followed the prompts.

I guess you did something special; like "use existing partitions" when
there's no existing parititon.
Anyway, the problem is there ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <***@antioche.eu.org>
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 12:07:33 UTC
On 2014-09-25 17:15, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 05:11:37PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>> nothing special, just followed the prompts.
>
> I guess you did something special; like "use existing partitions" when
> there's no existing parititon.
> Anyway, the problem is there ...

nope, i'd chosen "set sizes of netbsd partitions", and then followed the
defaults.

~mayuresh
Eric Haszlakiewicz
2014-09-25 12:11:12 UTC
>On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:35:05PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> `fdisk wd0` output below.
> Partition table:
> 0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238)
> start 1, size 976773167 (476940 MB, Cyls 0/0/2-60801/80/63)
> PBR is not bootable: Bad magic number (0x0000)

Does NetBSD 6.1.4 create GPT partitions? If not, maybe this was preexisting. Try a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d" for a few seconds to clear out the start of the disk, then start over.

Eric
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 12:18:40 UTC
On 2014-09-25 17:41, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:35:05PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>> `fdisk wd0` output below.
>> Partition table:
>> 0: GPT Protective MBR (sysid 238)
>> start 1, size 976773167 (476940 MB, Cyls 0/0/2-60801/80/63)
>> PBR is not bootable: Bad magic number (0x0000)
>
> Does NetBSD 6.1.4 create GPT partitions? If not, maybe this was
> preexisting. Try a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d" for a few seconds
> to clear out the start of the disk, then start over.

yes...
your suggestion worked. :)

install proceeding smoothly, should take a few minutes to complete.
hope nothing new and strange crops up now. ;)

thanks eric.

~mayuresh
David Lord
2014-09-25 12:08:55 UTC
On 25 Sep 2014 at 11:56, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> On 2014-09-25 11:22, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 02:59:11AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >> as i'd mentioned before, the "newfs" command failed to work during
> >> installation process.
> >
> > this doesn't help
>
> yeah, figured, that's why i'd sent the following mail too, somehow it
> didn't make it through.
>
> ----- another email sent to the list begins -----
>
> okay, i retried installation of 6.1.4 on the system after disabling
> 'uefi' boot option in the bios settings.
>
> the installation stopped at the file system creation step, messages as
> below;

> Command: /sbin/newfs -V2 -O 2 -b 32768 -f 4096 /dev/rwd0a
> Hit enter to continue
> newfs: /dev/rwd0a: open for read: Device busy
>
> i had faced a similar problem on a previous (dying) machine, thought it
> to be because of the system's hdd.
>
> now what i have is a brand new system, don't quite know how to proceed.
>
> any help/pointers would be appreciated. :)

Hi

it might not help but on both NetBSD-6/i386 and current/amd64,
I've had the same error when I've previously used the utilities
and had various mounts active, both local partitions and nfs and
then went back to complete the install which then failed. After
rebooting and selelecting the installer there was no problem and
installs completed ok.

David
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 05:04:16 UTC

~mayuresh
Gerard Lally
2014-09-25 11:04:22 UTC
At date and time Thu, 25 Sep 2014 01:42:47 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> okay, i finally got myself a low end machine at an affordable price.
> http://hpshopping.in/HP_18-5019il_All-in-One_Desktop_PC
>
> the problems started after unpacking the machine.
>
> netbsd 6.1.4 (amd64) install cd just won't boot.
> after fiddling around with the bios (which looks like uefi), it booted, but refused to install, after some more coaxing moved till the "newfs" execution phase and then barfed.
>
> i tested with a bunch of other operating systems (ubuntu 14.04 and omnios), which it install and boot up like a charm.
>
> at the moment, have upgraded the memory to 4gb, and run netbsd 6.1.4 via virtual box under ubuntu (desktop) 14.04, but the resource consumption is crazy, i can't even fire up firefox while running netbsd in that mode.
>
> any ideas about how i could make netbsd work on bare metal?
> or should i simply upgrade the memory to a total of 8gb (which is going to be quite difficult a proposition at the moment)?

Have you disabled Secure Boot?

Gerard Lally
Mayuresh Kathe
2014-09-25 11:05:53 UTC
On 2014-09-25 16:34, Gerard Lally wrote:
> At date and time Thu, 25 Sep 2014 01:42:47 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>
>> okay, i finally got myself a low end machine at an affordable price.
>> http://hpshopping.in/HP_18-5019il_All-in-One_Desktop_PC
>>
>> the problems started after unpacking the machine.
>>
>> netbsd 6.1.4 (amd64) install cd just won't boot.
>> after fiddling around with the bios (which looks like uefi), it
>> booted, but refused to install, after some more coaxing moved till the
>> "newfs" execution phase and then barfed.
>>
>> i tested with a bunch of other operating systems (ubuntu 14.04 and
>> omnios), which it install and boot up like a charm.
>>
>> at the moment, have upgraded the memory to 4gb, and run netbsd 6.1.4
>> via virtual box under ubuntu (desktop) 14.04, but the resource
>> consumption is crazy, i can't even fire up firefox while running
>> netbsd in that mode.
>>
>> any ideas about how i could make netbsd work on bare metal?
>> or should i simply upgrade the memory to a total of 8gb (which is
>> going to be quite difficult a proposition at the moment)?
>
> Have you disabled Secure Boot?

no, should i?

~mayuresh
Gerard Lally
2014-09-25 11:17:02 UTC
At date and time Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:35:53 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> >> http://hpshopping.in/HP_18-5019il_All-in-One_Desktop_PC
> >> after fiddling around with the bios (which looks like uefi), it >> booted, but refused to install, after some more coaxing moved till the >> "newfs" execution phase and then barfed.
> >> or should i simply upgrade the memory to a total of 8gb (which is >> going to be quite difficult a proposition at the moment)?
> > > Have you disabled Secure Boot?
>
> no, should i?

If it's an option in UEFI then yes, you should. It's at least worth a
try.

--
Gerard Lally