how to protect sd card on rpi
Zoran Kolic
2014-09-22 15:20:57 UTC
After installing on raspberry pi, I found few articles,
how to help sd card to live longer. What is neccessary
to put in conf files for that?

I.e. to have in fstab:

/dev/ld0a / ffs rw,noatime,nodevmtime 1 1

Then to put into /etc/rc.conf:

syslogd=NO
manpagedb=NO
savecore=NO
virecover=NO
fsck_flags="-P -p -y"

Also, how would apmd and powerd behave on rpi?
Best regards

Zoran
Christian Koch
2014-09-23 06:19:16 UTC
Hi Zoran,
Post by Zoran Kolic
After installing on raspberry pi, I found few articles,
how to help sd card to live longer. What is neccessary
to put in conf files for that?
/dev/ld0a / ffs rw,noatime,nodevmtime 1 1
syslogd=NO
manpagedb=NO
savecore=NO
virecover=NO
fsck_flags="-P -p -y"
What you've got is an alright start right already.

You can also set up your system such that the SD card contains nothing but the
bootloader and the kernel, and then put the root of your file system inside a
USB stick, or over a network. I have something kinda-sorta set up this way on my
Rasperry Pi. The SD card is very small and sees very little I/O.
Post by Zoran Kolic
Also, how would apmd and powerd behave on rpi?
They don't work very well in my experience. But I haven't done very much testing
with power on the Raspberry Pi, to be honest. And you shouldn't be using apmd(8)
anyway, it's deprecated.

-Christian
matthew sporleder
2014-09-24 00:38:29 UTC
Post by Zoran Kolic
After installing on raspberry pi, I found few articles,
how to help sd card to live longer. What is neccessary
to put in conf files for that?
/dev/ld0a / ffs rw,noatime,nodevmtime 1 1
syslogd=NO
manpagedb=NO
savecore=NO
virecover=NO
fsck_flags="-P -p -y"
Also, how would apmd and powerd behave on rpi?
Best regards
Zoran
This is probably out of date.. but:
http://mspo.com/how-to/netbsdreadmostly.html
Christos Zoulas
2014-09-24 03:07:04 UTC
Post by matthew sporleder
Post by Zoran Kolic
After installing on raspberry pi, I found few articles,
how to help sd card to live longer. What is neccessary
to put in conf files for that?
/dev/ld0a / ffs rw,noatime,nodevmtime 1 1
syslogd=NO
manpagedb=NO
savecore=NO
virecover=NO
fsck_flags="-P -p -y"
Also, how would apmd and powerd behave on rpi?
Best regards
Zoran
http://mspo.com/how-to/netbsdreadmostly.html
Creating an image with mkimage -m does most of this I think.
If not fix it :-)

christos